One of the funnest ways to mix up your style if you feel you’re in a slump, is to incorporate some pattern mixing! It may sound intimidating to you if you’ve never done it, but it really can add so much FUN to your style, and I promise it gets easier as you try different things! I wanted to give you some pointers on how to achieve this…
- Make sure you are working in the same color palate! In other words make sure the colors in each piece coordinate with one another! This is probably the biggest mistake I see!
- Choose patterns that are DIFFERENT scales. Like for example my checks are smaller than my floral! If you do choose the same size or the same pattern, then invert the colors. So for instance navy background and red flowers with navy flowers and red background.
- I like to make sure each of the prints share one color! So here in my outfit, I’m sharing the blue.
- I like minimal accessories, and remember neutrals always work! Here I’ve chosen really colorful accessories, but I think it still works, and isn’t too over the top!
- You can always break up the patterns with solids….my bag, earrings, and shoes.
- Stripes, checks, and polkadots are so adorable with florals!
I read on someone’s instagram the other day, that if it weren’t for a “STYLE CHALLENGE” she was doing, she never would have come up with the outfit she wore. It’s so easy to get in a rut when it comes to dressing! We all tend to grab the same things, which creates a bit of a comfort zone and then hard to break out of. I challenge YOU, to try some pattern play in your outfits! If you’re not comfortable doing it, start small! Maybe a floral scarf with a striped tee? Below I’ve linked some fun looks together for some pattern mixing inspo!!!!!!
The CHALLENGE IS ON friends!!!!!!!!! Shauna…XO